Thursday 13 May 2010

Painting the weights



Painting the weights during the skinning process was not too much of a chore, 3ds MAX already pretty much set up the skin how I wanted it except for the odd one or two areas where a random area of vertices around the knee felt like shooting off to the left index finger when it was moved but other than that it wasn't an overly difficult task!!

Main trouble spots for the skinning part of the process was probably the shoulder area of the character, I have tried to get them as best as I can but still there not perfect and time is running short so I can't really dedicate more time to getting them perfect but good enough for this animation anyway.

One of my main concerns was if there was going to be any side effects from this process between the morpher modifier and the skin modifier i.e. when using the morpher modifier would the face distort or would it just not move and be rigid to the biped'd head. Luckily, there has been no side effects between the two modifiers and I didn't have to weigh the vertices in the neck or head section as they are already weighted as I wanted them to be which is brilliant!!

Also what helps with this is the fact that both my characters are pretty much identical, so I can quite simply save the completed file of the skinned character and keep him as a template so then I can merge the template with my scene for filming whenever I require both characters in the shot which helps save time!!

Below is an image showing that the character is skinned to a reasonably satisfactory
standard, but i don't particularly wish to play around with him anymore in this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment