Friday 14 May 2010

Evaluation

Overall, I am pretty happy with the outcome of my assignment, unfortunately though due to time restraints I did have to minimise the animation's duration, the character was supposed to trick the other character twice not just once like in the Fable, but the way i wanted to do this was too costly in time and rendering, I will have to do an extended version!!

Speaking of time constraints, because of this I did have to create a completely new story in comparison to the original story for the boy who cried wolf (with the characters working in a cake factory). Unfortinately though, I did not create a storyboard for this workflow, this story and the animations were off the cuff, the only thing I took off the original storyboard was the characters visually and the way the antagonist (Barry) would behave, other than that everything is completely improvised as i went along animating which I really enjoyed as it puts you in a position where you can't go back on yourself and you have to solve issues in that moment of time which I really enjoy doing rather than spending a large portion of time planning and plotting, I think its useful to do this, but not to follow it 100%. Only take what you want from the plans and completely transform the original into something completely new, I find this method more rewarding in a lot of respects. The original storyboard can be found after this evaluation

This module has been a great learning curve, from setting up characters for an animation, the biped set up and editing of the envelopes. The animation aspect wasn't as much as a learning curve as the preparation of the characters in MAX, as Ive had experience with 3d animation before, it was more the fact of figuring out a way to overcome technical issues within the animation and the editing, which was also good fun, figuring out and using which parts of what footage in order to iron out the flaws which can be seen in a lot of the areas of the raw footage!!

If i was to do this again, i probably wouldn't change much other than perhaps try just a different fable using these characters, the lion and the mouse fable in an abstract way would have been interesting, if done reservoir dogs style, but of course the brief states childrens show, so maybe this could be a personal project!! I enjoyed creating and working with these characters for their simplicities and complexities and I really want to master full biped movement to add to my portfolio including expression, there is a lot to reflect on from this piece of work and for me personally to analyse, scrutinise, improve and re implement into my future pieces of work.

Overall I'm pretty happy with what I have done, I think for next time I will be a bit more on form in terms of maintaining a consistent workflow to ensure I can get the maximum amount of work out, but other than that I'm happy with the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment